Our volunteers are extraordinary! We are fortunate to have the support of a large and dedicated group, many of whom have continually stepped forward in loving service since the project began. Volunteering with The Freedom to Choose Project (FTC) is an enriching experience which provides each volunteer with opportunities to be of service in addition to mastering the same skills we offer our participants. These skills support greater healing, effective communication, emotional intelligence, self determination, and a higher degree of happiness.
Becoming a Volunteer
Volunteer Information Portal
If you have been confirmed as a volunteer on an upcoming project, please click HERE to access the volunteer information pages.
Potential Opportunities to Volunteer
To find out about scheduled projects and events, please visit our Calendar of Events page HERE.
To be informed about our latest news and events, including volunteer projects and deadlines, you can sign up for email notifications through our contact form HERE.
Weekly Support Groups:
Once you have participated in one of the weekend Pathways to Freedom Workshops, you are invited to join one or all of our weekly support groups. If you are interested please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Valley State Prison
Freedom to Choose offers 2 weekly mentor support groups at Valley State Prison (VSP). The Men’s Mentor Support Group, also known as ILTAG (a prison term for Inmate Leisure Time Activity Group), has two classes – Level 1 and Level 2. There are more participants than we can fit in one class, so we offer the classes weekly, but they separate into two groups that each come once every other week.
- Weekly Advanced Mentor Support Group (Advanced ILTAG)
- Group A 11:00 am – 1:00 pm, every other Sunday (same as group C)
- Group B 1:00 pm – 3:30 pm, every other Sunday (same as group D)
- Weekly Original Mentor Support Group
- Group C 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm, every other Sunday (same as group A)
- Group D 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm, every other Sunday (same as group B)
California Institution for Women
Freedom to Choose offers 1 weekly mentor support group at the California Institution for Women (CIW). The Women’s Mentor Support Group is also known as ILTAG (a prison term for Inmate Leisure Time Activity Group).
- Weekly Original Mental Support Group
- Sundays from 5:45 pm – 7:45 pm
- Please keep in mind that the prisons may cancel groups at any time for a holiday, a logistical issue, an administrative break, or a variety of reasons.
- Volunteers need to arrive at visitor processing no later than 1/2 an hour before the start of each group and can generally plan on exiting the prison about 1/2 an hour after each group ends.
Community Volunteers (Santa Barbara County)
We are also developing a team of Community Volunteers. If you are interested in being of service in Santa Barbara County, please contact us.
Santa Barbara Jail Project
(Tentative Start Date) – Spring 2018